Saturday, September 24, 2011

My Liver Disease

Hi Everyone, it's Penny here. I have been a little too busy to blog lately. I had a bad weekend last weekend, I got really sick with a bad bout of my liver disease problems. My mom and dad took me to the vet this week twice! I don't like to go to the vet, but my mom says I have to because the vet will make me feel better! They did an ultrasound on my belly and are suspecting that I have a liver shunt again, ugh! I have to take lots of medicine now, which is kind of yucky. I will be going back to the vet in a few weeks to have my liver enzymes checked again. The vet will tell us then what he suggests for making me the healthiest at that time!

One good thing though is that mom has been making me all sorts of special foods! I got to eat cod fillet twice this week and tonight I got to have macaroni with tofu cooked in chicken broth with garlic! She reads a book that tells her all about the best natural foods that will help heal my liver. Okay, I better get back to watching animal planet, talk to you soon!

love,

Penny Jane

2 comments:

esLynho said...

Hi there,

How is Penny doing? I have a 3 yr old maltese (her name is Chanel) who has liver shunt and she is somehow very very sick now... The Vet gave us 2 choices (1) to continue medication, supplements and strict diet (2) surgery - but he gave a 50% success rate only.. we are at the crossroad now.. Baby Chanel is not eating now... we have to force feed her...
Care to share your story, experience? Thanks.

Penny said...

Oh, I am sooo sorry for just now getting back to you! We have been really bad with keeping up with our blog! I just now saw this! I really hope that it isn't too late to help you with this. I would not advise surgery, at 3 years, your maltese is already verging on too old for surgery. I have been faced with this option more than once over the last 3 years with her liver problems and nearly did it a few months ago, before being advised otherwise. I would have paid the money, but no one could guarantee me that she would survive. The death rate is just way too high. I am medically and dietarily managing her, it is working wonderfully. I spend a ton of time researching what is best for her. I am part of 2 yahoo groups for Canine liver disease that are wonderful and soooo helpful. You should join them, the advice they provide is invaluable. Please contact me at: michelle@sophisticatedpup.com to discuss further! I feel terrible that I am just now seeing this! I feel for you and your baby!